“Every child should receive a first class education”
The Prestolee Teaching School Alliance (PTSA) was awarded the prestigious Teaching School Status in March 2012 and is led by Prestolee Community Primary School.
What is a Teaching School?
The emergence of Teaching Schools formed a central part of the government’s plan to put schools and school leaders at the heart of raising standards for all children. Teaching Schools are outstanding schools who became eligible to bid for status and to serve as the ‘Lead School’ of an alliance comprising other educational establishments, from primaries to HEIs.
By de-centralising school improvement and putting it in the hands of the people who do the job, day in and day out, it became more and more possible to ensure that professional development, research, teacher training and school to school support could be undertaken and developed to the best advantage for children and individual schools, as a more ‘bespoke’ system of school improvement ensures work is tailored to that which each individual school needs.
Prestolee Teaching School Alliance is at the forefront of this self-improving and sustainable school-led system. We are an Alliance made up of many different schools who each contribute to, and benefit from, the diverse work undertaken within our group and beyond.
The Prestolee Teaching School Alliance aims to:
- Lead an alliance of other schools and partners to improve the quality of leadership, teaching and learning across the Prestolee Teaching School Alliance
- Train the next generation of outstanding teachers with its HEIs and other partners, so that there is a supply of high-quality new teachers
- Lead peer-to-peer learning and professional development, including the designation and deployment of Specialist Leaders of Education [ SLEs]
- Identify and manage talent and nurture leadership potential
- Form a national network to support schools in innovation and knowledge transfer
As the Lead School, Prestolee is at the hub of the Alliance, and offers strategic leadership; coordination; monitoring and quality assurance of the Alliance activities and expertise.